How To Get Rid Of Stress Hives
Ever wondered why your skin breaks out usually when you are tensed or stressed? It’s because the anxiety and stress releases certain hormones, which result in acne and skin problems.
But sometimes the production of such hormones can lead to hives as well. These swollen, red areas of skin get very itchy and usually occur when one is quite stressed. The condition is not dangerous and happens to a lot of people. But it may start to affect your life. This article will help you to learn more about stress hives and how different remedies and tips can keep this skin problem in check.
What Are Stress Hives?
When you are extremely stressed, your body may start releasing a hormone known as histamines. As a result, rashes may appear on different areas of your body. These rashes are itchy, stingy and swollen.
The hives usually disappear in 6 weeks, but this may vary person to person. Stress hives are not dangerous, as long as they don’t result in the swelling of the face or neck. In that case, contact a doctor immediately.
How Are Stress Hives Caused?
The main cause of stress hives is chronic stress. You may also get hives if you are allergic to something such as food, soap, medicine etc. Hives occur when the immune system becomes weak-this could be due to high levels of stress. The weakened immune system may also become allergic to those components to which you weren’t before.
How To Get Rid Of Stress Hives?
The following list of tips and remedies can help you get rid of stress hives easily and quickly:
- Apply cold compress to the swollen area. This reduces swelling and itchiness
- Wear loose and light clothes
- Drink herbal teas such as green tea, chamomile etc
- Apply oatmeal to soothe skin or soak yourself in an oatmeal bath
- Wash yourself with a mild soap ( be careful which soap you are using)
- Apply witch hazel, aloe vera, castor oil or fish oil to reduce inflammation
- Diluted vinegar, baking soda or ginger may also be applied to the affected area
- Have a balanced diet (foods that strengthens immune system)
When hives become unbearable and none of the home remedies work, then take medication which may reduce hives or stop the histamine production. It is recommended that oral anti-histamine or H-2 antagonist work best. Sometimes an anti-depressant may also work to control the breakout of hives.
But if the condition continues or it is hereditary, seek professional help as soon as possible.
Can Stress Hives Be Avoided?
You can take certain steps to ensure the prevention of stress hives:
- Avoid stress. Keep yourself calm with various activities (listening to soothing music, massages, meditation)
- Make yourself a cup of tea and sip it slowly.
- Stay away from all those triggers which result in stress hives. Keep a record of all things which resulted in hives in the past
- Take care of your skin
- Exercise regularly or walk
- Take out few minutes from your busy schedule and do something you like (reading, bath, playing with your kids etc)
- Get proper sleep